By order of the customer
The work of a service provider poses particular challenges for research oriented companies in Adlershof. One specialist in contract research for pharmaceutical companies is ASCA GmbH, whereas ifp Institut für Produktqualität GmbH performs analyses for the food sectors.
When Wolfgang Weber founded ifp GmbH in 2004, he was pursuing the target of developing a test kit that could verify vitamins quickly and easily. When he saw that this product was not yet making money in the development stage, he supplemented his services portfolio with food analyses – to such resounding success that this business line, with about a hundred employees, is today responsible for a major part of the company’s turnover.
In addition to its head office in Lankwitz, ifp also set up an agency in Adlershof at the beginning of this year. At Magnusstrasse 11, the institute runs testing labs for nutritive values and pesticides. “In future, nutritional analyses will gain in importance when the law stipulates nutritive values on food packaging from 2016,” explained Marketing Director Tobias Hein. In addition, ifp covers nearly everything that has anything to do with the analysis of food. For instance, it can verify allergens and genetically modified organisms, examine food samples for radioactivity, and implement hygiene management systems in production facilities.
Whereas speed is often of the essence for ifp analyses, ASCA GmbH (also at Magnusstraße 11) needs a lot of staying power. “We conduct contract research for the researching pharmaceutical industry,” explained Managing Director Christine Wedler. “This means that our customers must book a particular portion of our research capacity for a defined period.” ASCA operates as a partner for the synthesis of agents in preclinical research. New development candidates are not easy to find at short notice – and it takes a further ten to twelve years before the new medicine is finally approved.
ASCA with its 32 employees has discovered a second pillar in the form of custom synthesis. For instance, the company is commissioned by medicinal institutes to synthesise an all new compound that is not listed in the catalogue. All this is no easy business in the face of growing competition from laboratories in Eastern Europe and Asia. However, Wedler and her business partner Hans Schick have long proved their staying power: the company ASCA GmbH founded in 2000 emerged from the Institute of Organic Chemistry then run by the GDR Academy of Sciences. Incidentally, Weber of ifp did prove successful with his original business idea: his test kits for vitamins and other substances are today being marketed all over the world.
by Christian Hunziker
Please also read the back issues of the Adlershof Special in the archive. There you also can subscribe to the printed version of our magazine.
Most popular news by...
- Fuelling, version 2.0 – ideas in the field of electromobility:
- MagForce AG Receives Further Patent Related to NanoTherm® Therapy: European patent granted for nanoparticle-drug conjugat...
- Physicists let magnetic dipoles interact on the nanoscale for the first time: “Of great technical interest for future ha...
- Snap shots of one of life's central processes: Human Frontier Science Program provides funding of 900,000 US Dollars in su...
- Adlershof Special 28: Renewable Energies: For the future of energy efficiency
- HIGH TECH – LOW EX: For the future of energy eficiency: An interview with Beate Mekiffer, head of this pilot project in ...
- Climate Climbers: Building climatization by a façade greening system in Adlershof
- High-power diode lasers: Technology transfer the Berlin Way: Silke Pflueger, newly appointed member of ILS' Editorial Advi...
- Nucleus for innovative storage solutions: Approaches for a self-sufficient energy supply
- Tapping into heaven and earth: How renewable energies are utilised in the Technology Park Adlershof
- Veränderung in der Geschäftsführung der Adlershof Projekt GmbH: Gerhard W. Steindorf jetzt Geschäftsführer der Tempel...
- Der Schrittmacher: Auch heute, 18 Jahre später, ist Falk Fabich sichtlich engagiert, wenn er von der Neuordnung der Wisse...
- Carmen moderiert in Adlershof: 50 Jahre Deutsches Fernsehballett
- SPEKTRUM ADLERSHOF : Erste Mietfläche übergeben
- Der Mann, der Alfons Zitterbacke war:
- In stürmischen Zeiten:
- German U15 gegründet: HU und 14 weitere Universitäten wollen Forschungsbedingungen verbessern
- Für die moderne Frau bis Größe 50: Adlershofer CITYdirndl hat alles - außer Trachten
- HU-Start-up BetterTec startet Taxi-App BetterTaxi in Berlin: Unkomplizierte Taxibuchung dank Ein-Klick-Bestellung