The learning factory
„A child is like a scientist. They create tasks for themselves and search for solutions. They are able to learn by themselves.“ The kindergarten „Campus Adlershof“, which opened last year in November, lives by this basic idea of progressive educationist Loris Malaguzzi.In a knowledge-based society like ours, independent learning is more important than ever before – this is not just the case in childhood, learning is a life-long effort. Germany‘s most advanced technology park supports this by offering various possibilities of education.
“Reggio-education was founded by Malaguzzi in the Italian town Reggio Emilia, 40 years ago,” explains Melanie Ehnert, the director of the kindergarten. The children should develop their creativity as much as possible by using natural materials like pine cones, stones or leaves. A “science box”, supplied by Siemens Corporation, provides children with sort of first contact with the natural sciences. During the “Long Night of the Sciences”, the kindergarten hosted several experiments, together with the Spatzennest (Sparrow’s nest), the second kindergarten in Adlershof.
This year’s “Long Night” welcomed a good 33,000 visitors at 30 different Adlershof institutes and companies. The attractions offered by the science park ranged from a tugof war against gigantic CO2-molecules to experiments with perception at a psychological lab. For the first time, visitors could be live witnesses to the installation of a solar power system on the roof of the Institute for Photonics and Optical Technologies. At the end of September, the annual “Tage der Forschung” (“Research days”) will offer secondary school students unusual experiments, organised by the WISTA-MANAGEMENT GMBH, the network of non-university affiliated research institutes (IGAFA) as well as Humboldt-University of Berlin (HU). Nearly 8,000 students and approximately 1,000 employees make Adlershof Campus the vibrant centre of the technology park. Established between 1998 and 2003, the institutes for chemistry, geography, computer sciences mathematics, physics and psychology offer topclass conditions for learning and research.
“The Research Days have such a long tradition that I keep meeting scientists at our institutes whose interest in Adlershof arose from visiting this event,” says Ursula Westphal, director of the IGAFA science office. Two of Adlerhof’s facilities are particularly concerned with developing emerging talents: at the training workshop of the HU, young people can learn to become precision engineers. A rotation schedule takes them to various special workshops of the corresponding institutes. In doing so, they acquire a broad training, endowing them with high skills in their field. Roughly 150 young people apply for the five available places. The “pro-MANO” association, run by several companies and research institutes in Adlershof, attends to the profession of the micro-system technicians. By employing additional specialised teachers, apprentices in semi conductor companies based in Adlershof will receive a broader training. Finally, summer courses at various institutes offer further educaton not just for students, but also for employees.
Not just residents, but also hundreds of international visitors learn from Adlershof by attending one of the guided tours offered by Adlershof con.vent, which last up to three days. On these tours, Adlershof experts answer any question posed by their visitors – whether it’s a representative of a medium-sized company or a Saudi-Arabian prince.
by Wolfgang Richter
- Adlershof Special 19: Education & Training: The learning factory
- A secondary school for science city: Summer schools, student labs, Research Days – universities, companies and research ...
- Cash for calculus: A quote attributed to the Greek mathematician an physicist Archimedes reads, “There are things whi...
- Key experiences in the school-lab: Making experiments instead of memorising formulas: Getting children into science and te...
- Bilder von der Langen Nacht 2011: 33.220 Besuche in Adlershof
- Girls, Girls, Girls: Roberta-Robot bolts across the table – first forward, then around a corner – just as the earlier....
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Geographisches Institut
Rudower Chaussee 16, 12489 Berlin
Tel.: 2093 - 6905
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Institut für Chemie
Brook-Taylor-Straße 2, 12489 Berlin
Tel.: +49(0)30 2093 - 7280
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Institut für Physik
Newtonstraße 15, 12489 Berlin
Tel.: ++4930 20937600
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Institut für Psychologie
Rudower Chaussee 18, 12489 Berlin
Tel.: ++4930 20939430 (Sekr.)
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Campus Adlershof
Rudower Chaussee 25, 12489 Berlin
Tel.: +49 030 2093-1437/5475
Most popular news by...
- Fuelling, version 2.0 – ideas in the field of electromobility:
- MagForce AG Receives Further Patent Related to NanoTherm® Therapy: European patent granted for nanoparticle-drug conjugat...
- Physicists let magnetic dipoles interact on the nanoscale for the first time: “Of great technical interest for future ha...
- Snap shots of one of life's central processes: Human Frontier Science Program provides funding of 900,000 US Dollars in su...
- Adlershof Special 28: Renewable Energies: For the future of energy efficiency
- HIGH TECH – LOW EX: For the future of energy eficiency: An interview with Beate Mekiffer, head of this pilot project in ...
- Climate Climbers: Building climatization by a façade greening system in Adlershof
- Nucleus for innovative storage solutions: Approaches for a self-sufficient energy supply
- High-power diode lasers: Technology transfer the Berlin Way: Silke Pflueger, newly appointed member of ILS' Editorial Advi...
- Tapping into heaven and earth: How renewable energies are utilised in the Technology Park Adlershof
- Veränderung in der Geschäftsführung der Adlershof Projekt GmbH: Gerhard W. Steindorf jetzt Geschäftsführer der Tempel...
- Der Schrittmacher: Auch heute, 18 Jahre später, ist Falk Fabich sichtlich engagiert, wenn er von der Neuordnung der Wisse...
- Carmen moderiert in Adlershof: 50 Jahre Deutsches Fernsehballett
- SPEKTRUM ADLERSHOF : Erste Mietfläche übergeben
- Der Mann, der Alfons Zitterbacke war:
- In stürmischen Zeiten:
- German U15 gegründet: HU und 14 weitere Universitäten wollen Forschungsbedingungen verbessern
- Für die moderne Frau bis Größe 50: Adlershofer CITYdirndl hat alles - außer Trachten
- HU-Start-up BetterTec startet Taxi-App BetterTaxi in Berlin: Unkomplizierte Taxibuchung dank Ein-Klick-Bestellung