Innovative Core Biotechnology
Berlin-Brandenburg is one of the leading life science locations in Germany. Here is where the strongholds of medicine, scientific research, and training are at home. The key drive behind all this innovation is the biotechnology sector, which has been enjoying continuous growth since the mid-nineties. This sector starts out from a large number of “omics” technologies, e.g. genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, epigenomics, and their interlinks forged by bioinformatics and systems biology.
Berlin-Brandenburg institutions and their scientists are pioneers in these fields and are shaping the research landscape throughout the world. This rich soil has since been nurturing over a hundred biotechnology companies. This innovative core of biotechnology is also instrumental in attracting a growing number of pharmaceutical companies to Berlin and boosting growth on the medical engineering sector here. After all, new developments in medicine today are virtually no longer possible without biotechnology, and many innovations of medical engineering are based on biologi-cal coatings.
While biotechnology has been pervading nearly all segments of everyday life in recent years, the sector itself is experiencing its ups and downs. In the face of ailing financial markets and a dramatic upheaval in the pharmaceutical and health care industry, the business model for developing new medicines has become very difficult. On the other hand, companies will evolve at an above average rate, combine biotechnologies with other disciplines, and so tap into new markets. We expect booming growth at the interfaces between biotechnology and medical engineering, imaging and molecular diagnostics, diagnostics and pharmaceuticals, health and IT, and a large number of new products and methods.
And it is Adlershof that provides excellent potential for interdisciplinary products. Adlershof is the treasure trove of varied and diverse expertise in automation, high throughput methods, optical technologies, microsystems engineering, and in physical, chemical, and biological mechanisms.
Dr Kai Bindseil,
Cluster Manager Health Capital BioTOP Berlin-Brandenburg
Most popular news by...
- Fuelling, version 2.0 – ideas in the field of electromobility:
- MagForce AG Receives Further Patent Related to NanoTherm® Therapy: European patent granted for nanoparticle-drug conjugat...
- Physicists let magnetic dipoles interact on the nanoscale for the first time: “Of great technical interest for future ha...
- Snap shots of one of life's central processes: Human Frontier Science Program provides funding of 900,000 US Dollars in su...
- Adlershof Special 28: Renewable Energies: For the future of energy efficiency
- HIGH TECH – LOW EX: For the future of energy eficiency: An interview with Beate Mekiffer, head of this pilot project in ...
- Climate Climbers: Building climatization by a façade greening system in Adlershof
- Nucleus for innovative storage solutions: Approaches for a self-sufficient energy supply
- High-power diode lasers: Technology transfer the Berlin Way: Silke Pflueger, newly appointed member of ILS' Editorial Advi...
- Tapping into heaven and earth: How renewable energies are utilised in the Technology Park Adlershof
- Veränderung in der Geschäftsführung der Adlershof Projekt GmbH: Gerhard W. Steindorf jetzt Geschäftsführer der Tempel...
- Der Schrittmacher: Auch heute, 18 Jahre später, ist Falk Fabich sichtlich engagiert, wenn er von der Neuordnung der Wisse...
- Carmen moderiert in Adlershof: 50 Jahre Deutsches Fernsehballett
- SPEKTRUM ADLERSHOF : Erste Mietfläche übergeben
- Der Mann, der Alfons Zitterbacke war:
- In stürmischen Zeiten:
- German U15 gegründet: HU und 14 weitere Universitäten wollen Forschungsbedingungen verbessern
- Für die moderne Frau bis Größe 50: Adlershofer CITYdirndl hat alles - außer Trachten
- HU-Start-up BetterTec startet Taxi-App BetterTaxi in Berlin: Unkomplizierte Taxibuchung dank Ein-Klick-Bestellung