WiNS Workshop: Application training for scientists
Friday, 21. April 2023 // 09.00 - 17.00
WiNS Adlershof (Women in Natural Sciences)
Rudower Chaussee 25,
Johann von Neumann-Haus, Humboldt-Kabinett
How to construct a professional CV and cover letter
This workshop will give an overview on current application trends outside academia. It will help the participants assessing their strengths and presenting themselves in a professional way. The first step is to look at competencies and identify hard and soft (= transferable) skills. Discussing the CV basics and options – and specifically working on meaningful bullet points – will provide guidance on how to improve your individual CV.
The employers’ perspective should always be taken into account and application documents should be tailor-made for each individual job offer. Tips will be provided on how to analyse job descriptions. Furthermore participants will get advice how best to promote their expertise as well as their motivation and personality in a cover letter format. In this seminar participants will perform practical exercises and receive feedback in small group discussions.
- Overview of current application standards and trends
- Translating your academic background into competencies and transferable skills
- Job description analysis and employer’s perspective
- Enhancing your CV with a special focus on bullet points
- Discussion of basic cover letter elements & common pitfalls
- Brief presentations & discussions
- Self-reflection & exercises
- Interactive group work with a strong focus on constructive feedback
Ilona Kiarang – Orange Consult
Important note: For admission to this course you will have to hand in a current application (job description, cover letter and CV). You should be willing to do some homework in advance and share your documents with your peers. You will receive an email beforehand explaining the details.
The event is aimed at female PhD students and postdoctoral researchers, max. 16 participants.
Please register by mail until 10 April: petra.metz(at)hu-berlin.de
Johann-von-Neumann-Haus, Raum 1.410